background

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Jordan River Temple

My brother Russ lives next to the Jordan River Temple (across the street actually). One night, while Eric was working late, I dropped off the kids to Russ's home while I planned on spending some time at the Temple. It was one of those days where the world just felt like it was on my shoulders. I had so many things bearing on my mind and I needed the relief & peace the Temple gives me. The renewed hope. The sense of direction in this time of personal craziness.
I got to the Temple and it was blizzarding outside. The Temple had closed due to inclement weather. My heart sank. I really needed to go in. I really needed to be spiritually fed.

I sat in my car and just looked at the blizzard circling around this spiritual and physical fortress. I sat and watched how the winds blew and the snow & ice beat on the walls of the Temple and how it remained bright: a beacon of strength and light to me.

I decided I wanted to be like that. I wanted to be a source of strength and light even if just to myself. I want to be steadfast and unwavering in times of trial. The Temple taught me that night that no matter what is going on around me, what trials may try to blow me down, circle around me or weather me, I can be a pillar of strength while shedding light and goodness in my own life, on my husband and children, and on others around me. I needed to remain grateful & hopeful.

Charlotte Jessop once gave me a psalm that she refered to in times of trial:
"Faith is a bird that feels dawn breaking but sings when it is still dark."

I will remain faithful even with all the blustery events that surround my life right now. I will remain hopeful and grateful for a brighter day. I will be that unwavering pillar no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment